After DUI convictions in Colorado, the courts may require some individuals to have ignition interlock devices installed and maintained on their vehicles as part of their DUI probation. Ignition interlock devices are digital systems that:
- Fix within the ignition (key hole) of a vehicle to test a driver’s breath for alcohol
- Require that drivers breath into the device in order to get the vehicle started
- Require that drivers regularly keep submitting breath samples while driving
- Report any failed attempts (i.e., breath test results that show alcohol to be in drivers’ systems and, as a result, fail to start the car) to the agency maintaining the device and to the individual’s probation officer.
Individuals Required to Have Ignition Interlock Devices
Colorado DUI laws stipulate that the following individuals will be required to have ignition interlock devices installed on their vehicles:
- Those convicted of DUI for the first time on or after January 1, 2009 and who have been approved for early drivers’ license reinstatement (after the initial 30-day suspension) will be required to have ignition interlock devices installed in their cars for 8 months. A first-time DUI conviction involving a BAC of .17 or greater will result in an automatic 2-year installation of ignition interlock devices.
- Those convicted of DUI for the second time within five years of the first DUI conviction or of a third-time DUI within their lifetime will be required to have an ignition interlock device installed for 2 years in their vehicles.
Additionally, individuals who have one or two prior DUI convictions and who refuse to submit to a blood or alcohol test upon being pulled for an alleged DUI may face a one or two year (respectively) mandatory sentence to have ignition interlock devices installed in their vehicles as part of their probation.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a DUI, regardless of whether or not it is your first DUI charge, contact the Denver DUI defense attorneys at the Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal. We have extensive experience defending the rights of the accused, we are dedicated to building our Clients the strongest possible defense case, and we will work tirelessly to help our Clients resolve their DUI charges as favorably and efficiently as possible. For a free initial consult, call us at (303) 573-0543.
Denver DUI and Criminal Defense Attorney, Jeremy Rosenthal aggressively defends DUI cases, medical marijuana related legal issues, and criminal defense cases. The Law Firm of Jeremy Rosenthal - Denver, Colo